Isaiah 30:21 - Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Standing on her own


She couldn't stand her mom said.  She's too old not to be able to stand.  I take her small framed body from her mom's lap into mine.  She's small for her age, but then again all the kids that come in to the program are.  

Twelve months and he weighs the same as a two month old.  Fourteen months and this one can't crawl yet.  A year and a half and she's only standing.  Eighteen months and he weighs sixteen pounds.  They've gotten up early this morning and waited three hours for their turn.  It's only 11:30 but they haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon.  

Sometimes after finishing a Mamba day I look back and wonder how these people do it day after day.  I'm in awe of their perseverance, their resilience, the fact that they will walk two hours or more to come to the clinic every Tuesday.  

The most frustrating part of running this program isn't working in sweltering 90 degree heat.  It's not the fact that I've been peed on multiple times or have seen more baby poop than I can count.  It's not the endless snotty noses I've wiped or the countless marriage proposals I've gotten if I give away the mamba, it's seeing the kids that need it the most not gain any weight or not come back at all; but, I have seen more moms than not persistently and faithfully give their kids the mamba.  I see the smiles on their faces after I tell them I'm proud of them that their babies did well this week.  I see their heads lift and shoulders rise as they hear where their boy or girl started at and how much better they are doing.  I hear the concern in their voices and stern words they say to the other mom in the room when I tell one that her child didn't gain.  I love that these moms truly do love and care for their kids and want what's best for them.   

The other week one of kids in the program graduated.  When she first started the Mamba program she was too weak to stand.  Her mom couldn't afford to buy her the necessary foods she needed.  After six weeks in the program she gained her goal and was ready to graduate.  When I called her name for her turn her mom came in the room with a huge smile on her face.  I could tell she was excited and happy about something.  She pulled a wallet size photo of her daughter out from her purse and handed it to me.  

This is for you she said.  My daughter can stand now. 
   

Dyenika Louisa


Graduation day

The picture the mom gave me the day she graduated

1 comment:

  1. And I'm proud of you for being persistent in following the call of God in helping others where He has led you! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete